Saturday, October 25, 2014

Day 37: Ratios Quiz

6th Grade Math Standards6.RP.3 Use ratio and rate reasoning to solve real-world and mathematical problems, e.g., by reasoning about tables of equivalent ratiostape diagrams, double number line diagrams, or equations.
a. Make tables of equivalent ratios relating quantities with whole-number measurements, find
missing values in the tables, and plot the pairs of values on the coordinate planeUse tables
to compare ratios.

b. Solve unit rate problems, including those involving unit pricing and constant speed. For
example, if it took 7 hours to mow 4 lawns, then, at that rate, how many lawns could be
mowed in 35 hours? At what rate were lawns being mowed?

c. Find a percent of a quantity as a rate per 100 (e.g., 30% of a quantity means 30/100 times the
quantity); solve problems involving finding the whole, given a part and the percent.
d. Use ratio reasoning to convert measurement units; manipulate and transform units
appropriately when multiplying or dividing quantities

The Learning Objective: Write a ratio three ways. Calculate the unit rate. Find equivalent rates. Complete a ratio table. Find the equivalent rate. Determine the best rate between two options. Create a ratio table and list the coordinate pairs. Graph ratios on a coordinate plane. List ratios in a double number line.

Quote of the Day“Students with the growth mindset continued to show the same high level of interest even when they found the work very challenging. ‘It’s a lot more difficult for me than I thought it would be, but it’s what I want to do, so that only makes me more determined. When they tell me I can’t, it really gets me going. Children with the growth mindset can’t tear themselves away from the hard problems.” - Carol Dweck, Mindset

Agenda:

  1. Collect the Weekly Quiz #5
  2. Complete the Ratios Quiz 
  3. Students got to work on Weekly Quiz #6

The Assessment: The ratios quiz and weekly quizzes were collected, graded, and will be returned to the students.

Homework: Students are going to finish Weekly Quiz #6 for Monday. When they do, I will return it to them the following day and let them know what needs to be fixed.

My Glass Half-Full Take: The quiz covered many of the ratio standards and was fairly rigorous. Only two problems were not connected to word problems. I had built in enough time for students to do the quiz and work on their weekly quiz, but could not teach another lesson after the quiz, which was the intention a week ago. My colleagues and I had an inkling after this quiz was put together that this was a possibility, so it wasn't a big deal. In correcting the quizzes, the most encouraging thing for me was seeing that two of my students chose to solve number nine by finding the least common multiple.

One Thing to Do Differently: Many of the quizzes had the same mistakes. The first problem of the quiz students incorrectly ordered the units. Instead of 3:5 they said 5:3. I wish that I had forced students to circle these terms from the beginning of the unit. It's really something that I push all of the time, but I don't think I push it hard enough.

Another mistake was the rate problem of Stop & Shop versus Costco. We had this exact problem (technically I changed two numbers) in class just days before, but it was still the most popular wrong answer on the quiz. Interestingly the preceding question about recipes which measured students ability to tell if rates were equivalent went very well. This question on Costco and Stop & Shot used harder numbers though, and more specifically tougher units. Perhaps I could have devoted a full class to understanding the insight of this idea in lieu of just half of a class, but then I would have compromised actually teaching the lesson on unit rates (notes included). Students actually did quite well on question eight which tested the objective of seeing whether or not two rates were equivalent. I always believe that students who put the units of what they are dividing, multiplying, etc. have a better chance of getting a deeper understanding. In this particular problem, that could not have been more apparent. I need to do a better job of calling students out on not writing the units down. Perhaps some annoying buzz sound whenever they don't put units will serve as a reminder.

Link of the Day: Some worksheets from Mathfunbook on each and every standard with a little differentiation worked in as well. That said, I don't think it's the most engaging thing a student has seen. Still I see this as a cheap alternative to a textbook for any district out there that's looking to transition away from texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment