Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Day 57: Coordinate Plane Quiz

6th Grade Math Standards6.NS.8 Solve real-world and mathematical problems by graphing points in all four quadrants of the coordinate plane. Include use of coordinates and absolute value to find distances between points with the same first coordinate or the same second coordinate.

The Learning Objective: Locate a point in a coordinate plane. Graph points in a coordinate plane. Give the distance between two points that share an axis in a coordinate plane.

Quote of the Day“When you tell the truth your problems become part of your past, but when you lie they become part of your future.” - Rick Pitino

Agenda:

  1. Students cleaned out their binders of all daily and jumpstart materials
  2. The students took the quiz on coordinate plane
  3. The students worked on another cartesian cartoon if they wanted or did the visual pattern #21
  4. In the second part of class we reviewed the quiz and did a self-assessment. The quiz was already graded because I had my prep at an ideal time and I was able to grade some as students from different classes worked on the quiz.
  5. Students were given a choice of playing battleship with coordinate plane or doing a cartesian cartoon. 

The Assessment: The coordinate plane quiz went well overall.

Homework: None

My Glass Half-Full Take: With just today and tomorrow (a half-day) before Thanksgiving it was ideal to give back the quizzes today as opposed to after Thanksgiving (I'm not going to see all classes tomorrow). Overall the quiz went well and the cartesian cartoons went well, so students are starting off the trimester on the right foot.

One Thing to Do Differently: There were a couple students that did not do their Cartesian Cartoons. I think I'm to blame in some regard. I am often more tolerant of talking and noise in the classroom than most of the classrooms I walk into. I'm sympathetic to eleven and twelve year olds urges to be children. I think this often causes distraction and perhaps students were not on task. In order to get tougher on a select group of students I may have to be more authoritative in the way that the classroom focuses.

Link of the Day: Kinesthetic way of teaching the coordinate plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment