Monday, February 23, 2015

Day 102 Distributive Property

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.EE.3 Apply the properties of operations to generate equivalent expressions. For example, apply the distributive property to the expression 3 (2 + x) to produce the equivalent expression 6 + 3x; apply the distributive property to the expression 24x + 18y to produce the equivalent expression 6(4x + 3y); apply properties of operations to y + y + y to produce the equivalent expression 3y.

The Learning Objective: Use the distributive property to find equivalent expressions

Quote of the Day: "Step. Step back. And leap!"

Agenda:

  1. Self-Assessment
  2. Review variable quiz
  3. My favorite no
  4. Algebra tiles and notes
  5. Exit ticket
  6. Start the homework


The Assessment: The question in my favorite no asked student to find an equivalent expression using the distributive property for the expression 3(c-2).

No a single student could do this task, so there was at least the satisfaction in knowing that students would go home with a new skill at the end of the day if it was taught well. That being said, looking at the tickets to leave, some students did not go home with a new skill. This can be a very abstract concept with variables included, and I knew going in that I was going to spend at least two classes on this topic.

Homework: The students were given a worksheet with problems similar to the my favorite no problem and also three word problems. Interestingly the word problems did not all directly connect to the distributive property, so hopefully the students will read them carefully. I will see tomorrow. Students also need to do the weekly quiz by Wednesday this week.

My Glass Half-Full Take: The exit ticket did indicate that some learning certainly took place with some students. I would say around 65 to 70% of the students seemed to get through the exit ticket with everything correct. In two out of the three classes, the other teacher and I were able to review mistakes with students on their exit ticket, so in most cases the homework was a reinforcement activity rather than a pull your hair out activity.

One Thing to Do Differently: The idea of 3 (2x + 1) blew their minds even after a couple other examples. The reason for that was the coefficient of 2. I tried to break it down as x + x. I used a more concrete example of 2 x 7 being the same as 7 + 7. I liked my analogy, but I teach math for a living. Still I liked sliding this into their minds as I think the concept also is helpful in combining like terms.

My overall stance on the distributive property and combining like terms for sixth graders is that the kids have to start somewhere. This is where they start, and it's a painful beginning, but hopefully the exposure they receive in sixth grade helps them down the road.

Link of the Day: I got a good deal of reading Nix the Tricks yesterday. One thing that I've always done is use the term cancel. I take for granted that students will understand that a +7 and a -7 cancels. I like the recommendation of telling students it is 0 rather than saying the term cancel which can lead to confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment