Monday, June 1, 2015

Day 162 Posters, Commercials, etc.

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.2

The Objective: Find an average of a data set with decimals, subtract whole numbers from decimals and decimals from whole numbers.

Agenda: Students worked with their partner on the project and presentation.

The Assessment: I corrected weekly quizzes and then gave customized feedback to students as they were working on their projects.

Glass Half-Full: As the learning needs teacher on my team point out it was great to see that students could be self-starters in their own creative visions for this project. I am typically not one to let students wonder this far away from me but in this case I wanted creativity and my mind would cause students to become focused on the wrong idea (pleasing me) rather than doing something that they enjoyed.

One Regret: The project did not involve any new levels of math today. Students simply had to reiterate math that they had already used in previous classes. Today SchoolWorks was in to observe and it was probably one of five days this year where I was not really concerned with the math that students did (the other days being MCAS days and the first two days of school).

Link of the Day: New York Times article courtesy of Dan Meyer (although he had a completely different selling point about using this as a template for graphing) regarding the correlation between parental income and children's likelihood to attend college.

No comments:

Post a Comment