Thursday, November 12, 2015

Day 45: Unlike Fractions

6th Grade Math Standards: 5.NF.1 Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators. For example, 2/3 + 5/4 = 8/12 + 15/12 = 23/12 . (In general, a/b + c/d = (ad + bc) /bd.)

The Learning Objective: Add and subtract fractions

Quote of the Day: "If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough." - Albert Einstein

Question from Yesterday (as always from a student): "Is 4/4 a proper or improper fraction?"

Assessment: Individual marker boards to try problems with unlike denominators

Agenda:

  1. Visual Pattern #10
  2. My favorite no: 11 and 3/5 minus 6 and 4/5
  3. My favorite no: 11 and 3/5 minus 6 and 3/4
  4. Took down notes of how to do one problem in the spiral notebook
  5. Chanted how to add and subtract fractions we needed a common denominator first
  6. Used the marker boards to see if students could do it on their own (did two to three problems per class - including one that required borrowing or improper fractions)
  7. Passed out the homework and started the homework in class


Glass-Half Full: In one class, I was checking off students in my head throughout my walks up and down rows. Eventually I narrowed it down to three students that could not do the skill independently. As the students worked on the homework, I continued to oversee everyone, but focused my time on these three students until they were able to demonstrate the skill independently. In my opinion these students have not mastered the skill, but I could give them a quiz tomorrow and they could do well on it.

Regrets: I wish more students had worked on the Weekly Quiz #7 on their day off. I let them know about my disappointment in my sense of high expectations tone.

Link of the Day: This article got me to think that rubrics aren't always good. The more general, the better because it does not restrict student thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment