Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Second Day of School Time Management Survey

I have always given students a little get to know you short answer sheet and I genuinely read every response that I get. This is my Welcome to Math warm up that I have used in the past and this is Welcome to Math 2.0.

As a result of reading so much literature (Mindset by Carol Dweck, How Children Succeed by Paul Tough, Drive by Daniel Pink to name a few) in the past two years about non-cognitive skills and the psychological research behind it, I wanted to change the focus a little. I eliminated questions where the students generally gave me poor responses and replaced them with how they manage their time in six categories: video games, television/YouTube, cell phone time, exercise, reading, and writing. My basic thought being that I can help them reallocate their time away from pleasure seeking and instant gratification to more constructive use of their time in experiences that create flow and provide opportunities to do work for its own sake. Who knows it might totally flop and I might have no time to even start to give feedback to students regarding this, but if nothing else it will give me data.

No comments:

Post a Comment