Monday, May 4, 2015

Day 147: Histograms Day Two

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.4 Display numerical data in plots on a number line, including dot plots, histograms, and box plots.
MA.4.a.Read and interpret circle graphs.

The Learning Objective: Construct a histogram

Quote of the Day: "A strong leader accepts blame and gives the credit. A weak leader gives the blame and accepts the credit." - John Wooden

Agenda:

  1. May Math Mayhem
  2. MCAS Announcement
  3. Histogram Practice (depending on the class)
  4. Histogram Construction - Tom Brady
  5. Start the homework

Homework: page 875 - page 877 #1-4, 6, 7, 9, 11, 13-16, 18

The Assessment: The May Mayhem helped me confirm what I already suspected. Students forget how to graph and write inequalities. This is something that I was glad to insert into May Mayhem. I will try to put it in again this week. Students went from 5% correct on the distributive property question to 33%. I was not sarcastic when I said to the class that the growth was tremendous. Hopefully tomorrow we take another step forward. Finding the area of a triangle is something that will not be revisited again this week because approximately 90% of students have this mastered.

In addition to what was done on the Math Mayhem, students were assessed on their ability to construct a histogram. Within this objective, students had to also find equivalent intervals (this was the greatest hurdle) and label the axes. I assessed them by forcing them to check in with me before they began their homework.

Glass Half-Full Take: I added a question to March Madness today about Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao's boxing match from the weekend. Floyd Mayweather was paid $180 million and received 60% of the money that was given out (called the purse in boxing). If Pacquiao received the rest, how much money did he receive?

I took this question because I overheard one of my students say 60% in the morning when talking about the fight. The students were astonished to see how much the fighters made, but hopefully they also were astonished to learn how they could find what each fighter made in terms of percentages.

One Regret: To borrow a line from a former administrator, the inmates are getting restless. In one class, no matter how many times I cued students to work they were not responding. I think slowing down directions and confirming students are getting the information step by step will help to keep them engaged. I also think that no matter what I do, kids are going to be kids as the weather gets increasingly better.

Link of the Day: A little cinco de mayo lesson courtesy of Yummy Math.

No comments:

Post a Comment