Thursday, October 8, 2015

Day 23: Prime Factorization Study Guide

6th Grade Math Standards: Find the greatest common factor of two whole numbers less than or equal to 100 and the least common multiple of two whole numbers less than or equal to 12. Use the distributive property to express a sum of two whole numbers 1–100 with a common factor as a multiple of a sum of two whole numbers with no common factor. For example, express 36 + 8 as 4(9 + 2). MA.4.a. Apply number theory concepts, including prime factorization and relatively prime numbers, to the solution of problems.

The Learning Objective: Define relatively prime; identify if two numbers are relatively prime or not; find the greatest common factor using prime factorization

Quote of the Day: "Don't tell me how tough the situation is. Show me how tough you are facing the situation." - Jay Bilas

Question from Yesterday (as always from a student): Why is it that if we're finding the greatest common factor of 16 and 28 that we circle 4 two's that the numbers have in common and we don't multiply 2 x 2 x 2 x 2?

Assessment: I had the students define relatively prime for me on the study guide and also had students answer if 11 and 44 were relatively prime. I used the student check method in which I checked off a couple students and used those students to then verify the answers of other students.

Agenda: Shortened day because we had the school fundraiser in which the students went around the schools on wheels called the Rollathon.

  1. Visual Pattern #4
  2. Reviewed the homework by having students do three problems on the board as the rest of the class worked on Visual Pattern #4
  3. Pepper
  4. Study guide 


Glass-Half Full: With the shortened day, the four activities were well-timed. I did not need extra time and still got an assessment and students to think in it. I also loved sharing what one of the students said yesterday about relatively prime numbers. "If you look at any two numbers that are next to each other on a number line, they are always going to be relatively prime."

Regrets: My first class of the day had difficulty getting started on the jumpstart. I think it was excitement with the Rollathon. I addressed it pretty quickly though and we were off and running from there.

Link of the Day: Foxy Fives from Fawn Nguyen. I'm literally creating an entire challenging math morning with materials I've learned about from Fawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment