Thursday, January 7, 2016

Day 75: Area of Parallelograms

6th Grade Math Standards: Find the area of right triangles, other triangles, special quadrilaterals, and polygons by composing into rectangles or decomposing into triangles and other shapes; apply these techniques in the context of solving real-world and mathematical problems.
MA.1.a.Use the relationships among radius, diameter, and center of a circle to find its circumference and area.
MA.1.b. Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving the measurements of circles.

The Learning Objective: Find the area of a paralellogram.

Quote of the Day: “You can make more friends in two months by becoming more interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get people interested in you.” – Dale Carnegie

Question from Yesterday (as always from a student): Is there something smaller than an atom?

Assessment: Upon starting the homework, I checked off the first three problems and students got to skip the next three problems if they were correct.

Agenda:

  1. Jumpstart asking how to build a rectangular patio with 48 square feet (only whole tiles and each tile is 1 foot by 1 foot).
  2. Quote, Star, Question
  3. Review the area of rectangle homework
  4. Ask class if they have any weekly quiz questions
  5. Parallelogram notes (brief)
  6. Parallelogram practice


Glass-Half Full: I pretended to use the phone to call the height. I told him I was the base and asked if he wanted to hang out. I said I will meet him at the right angle. It was new and different, and therefore slightly more interesting. Hopefully one more student retains it than they would have otherwise.

Regrets: One of the other teachers told her class that the problem is wrong if the students do not write the formula. I wish I had said that today or even yesterday. I will tomorrow.

Link of the Day: Connect 4 for filling out the hundreds chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment