Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Day 150: MCAS Eve

6th Grade Math Standards: All of them

Quote of the DayWe asked people, ranging from grade schoolers to young adults, ‘When do you feel smart?’ The differences were striking. People with the fixed mindset said: ‘It’s when I don’t make any mistakes.’ ‘When I finish something fast and it’s perfect.’ ‘When something is easy for me, but other people can’t do it.’ It’s about being perfect now, but people with the growth mindset said: ‘When it’s really hard, and I try really hard, and I can do something I couldn’t do before.’ ‘When I work on something a long time and I start to figure it out.’” – Carol Dweck

The Learning Objective: Get excited for MCAS

Assessment: I had students journal what they do when they are stuck on a problem. It was more of a spontaneous idea, but led to great discussion.

Agenda:

  1. Journal when you are stuck
  2. Pair and share your responses
  3. We went over the responses as a class
  4. Review the weekly quiz (MCAS simulation) 
  5. Clickers assessing percent problem, coefficient, and equations
  6. Vocabulary bag games

Glass Half-Full: The videos to pump students up for MCAS were shown as part of an assembly at the end of the day. Thanks to Jason Derulo and Disturbed for the music.

What is the Distributive Property

It's MCAS

Regrets: I really liked the idea of having the students journal strategies to use when they are stuck. This could have been something to build in more throughout the year. I have gradually gotten away from journaling and writing, and it is a necessity for math teachers to have this skill built into their classrooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment