Thursday, November 17, 2016

Day 50: Fractions Quiz

6th Grade Math Standards: 3.NF.3, 4.NF.2, 5.NF.1

Objective: Add and subtract fractions with like and unlike denominators; apply fraction operations in a real-world context

Agenda:

  1. Marker Boards Collaboration
  2. QSSQ
  3. Take the Quiz
  4. Work on Weekly Quiz, do retakes, or read

Assessment: The marker boards and the quiz

I had students each do a problem that forced them to borrow (if that was the method they were comfortable with) to get a difference with unlike denominators. Each student in a group of four did one problem like the two below.

When done they added their four differences. Again using whatever method they were comfortable with. Here one group is using improper fractions and another is using mixed numbers (incorrectly). 



If they got the answer wrong of the sum of all four problems I just said wrong. I tried to stay away from explaining and left it up to the group to correct until they had what is seen below. 




Glass Half-Full: Typically I give the quiz in the first 50 minutes of class and if there are students who need to finish, they can work on it in the second 50 minutes. Today I knew the quiz would not take as long. As a result we did not start the class with the quiz. Each kid was given their own marker board and told to do four separate subtraction problems with unlike denominators in which they would need to borrow (if borrowing was their preferred method of solving). Then when each student got their difference they found a sum of their four answers.  I had to say almost nothing after explaining the task and students collaboratively worked out their errors. The whole task took roughly 30 minutes per class. It left me feeling like the students were prepared for the quiz.

Regrets: I think that some students are taking too long on quizzes. The fact that we needed over an hour to do this type of quiz is alarming. I promote persistence and Einstein's quote of "It's not that I'm so smart, I just stay with the problem longer." I also have to have my students prepare to take PARCC.

Link: Article for the National  Council of Teachers of Mathematics on 13 "rules" that may not be helping our students.

No comments:

Post a Comment