Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Day 133 & Day 134 MCAS Testing

I did not have the opportunity to teach math lessons for the past two school days. On Day 133 the students took the MCAS test so late into the day that we actually had to push lunch back. After the students were done this it was only fair to them to have a "fun class." I played Scattegories with them. I also fought every instinct within me to move seats and pass out boring worksheets to the class as they were consistently talking over me. I never did discipline the students as I thought they had a long day as it were and deep down I knew better than to care about how well we did in going over our answers to the game.

On Day 134, I went over the directions faster than the previous day. We started about 15 minutes earlier than we had in the previous day. The students on this day had their encore classes at the end of the day, so again I did not have the opportunity to teach a lesson which is typical for this time of the year.

This is probably the last year of MCAS as we make the switch over to PARCC for both ELA and math. I'm not looking forward to the switch in math as I think the PARCC test is designed to be read by an adult more than a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment