Thursday, April 16, 2015

Day 140 Statistics Study Guide

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.SP.1 Recognize a statistical question as one that anticipates variability in the data related to the question and accounts for it in the answers. For example, “How old am I?” is not a statistical question, but “How old are the students in my school?” is a statistical question because one anticipates variability in students’ ages.
6.SP.2 Understand that a set of data collected to answer a statistical question has a distribution which can be described by its center, spread, and overall shape.
6.SP.3 Recognize that a measure of center for a numerical data set summarizes all of its values with a single number, while a measure of variation describes how its values vary with a single number.

The Learning Objective: Identify three measures of variation; identify three measures of central tendency; find all measures of central tendency given the data set; find all measure of variation given the data set; find a missing value in a data set given all values but one and the mean; differentiate a statistical question from a non-statistical question

Agenda:

  1. Jumpstart using a problem from the book on page 836 #17 and a graphic organizer for identifying terms that go with central tendency and variation. I had students skip steps 1 and 2 on the link because we had done this already. I also projected the problem from the book on the board so students didn't need to rip the page from the textbook.
  2. Analyze how we could check the work after ordering the numbers
  3. Homework answers shared
  4. Study guide page 1 done in partners
  5. Start of second block page 2 of study guide passed out and page 1 is finished by students within the first 5 to 10 minutes of class
  6. I either went over the study guide with the whole group or individually for smaller classes. If we did it as a whole group, I intentionally made an error at the end (quartile 3) on #18 to ensure students paid attention.
  7. After I have checked the study guides students can receive a Chrome Book and try finding the measures of variation and central tendency of this data set from ticket prices to NHL playoff games
  8. Students can work on their weekly quiz (students had the option of doing this ahead of step 6)

The Assessment: Today the assessment was through circumvention of the room. This is probably the least favorite of all of my assessments but the most common. I will say this about circumvention though, I virtually never sit at my desk as students work and work on something else. I'm always working with them so it's almost identical to a ticket to leave or a clicker assignment in that the feedback speed is pretty quick. Today in assessing, it was apparent that students still struggle with finding the missing value in a mean, defining the terms central tendency and variation, and have a difficult time with knowing what measure of central tendency to use in different situations.

Homework: Study for the test and work on the weekly quiz.

Glass Half-Full: The NHL playoff tickets was an extremely current way to bring meaning to data. I saw the ticket prices yesterday on my personal Twitter account which is virtually 100% dedicated to sports. The connections between sports is significant here, but looking at the ticket prices we were able to find out a little more about our data set.

We got a little into why the Rangers prices were higher than any other hockey team. Students were quick to point out that they won the Presidents Trophy (awarded to hockey's best regular season team I believe - hockey is my number four sports priority). I acknowledged that but quickly asked what else caused this and we branched off into a conversation about the cost of living in New York versus some of the other city. I informed students that milk would cost about a dollar or two cheaper in New York than a place such as Nashville.

It was enjoyable to get students on the Chrome books too which I haven't done too often this year. They all worked relatively quietly on them - even in my more energetic classes.

One Regret: I wish that I could have given the students some type of ticket to signify that their study guide "passed inspection." Students were rushing through the study guide to get to the chrome books and as a result not doing the best job possible to be prepared for the assessment tomorrow. Even something as simple as a yellow sticky note to mark off that they were all set and could move on to the next part of our agenda.

Link of the Day: Not really a link. Just saw this tweet from a teacher: "The average 4 year old asks 400 questions a day. What is happening with our secondary students?" I'm definitely guilty of trying to belittle the questions of my sixth graders to get on with "my show."

No comments:

Post a Comment