Sunday, October 16, 2016

Day 29 Dividing with the Dividends as Decimals

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.3 Fluently add, subtract, multiply, and divide multi-digit decimals using the standard algorithm for each operation.

Objective: Divide numbers that have a decimal in the dividend.

Question of the Day: Is it possible to have the quotient be higher than the dividend?

Agenda:

  1. Estimation 180 - Capacity
  2. QSSQ
  3. Review Multiplication HW and Pepper
  4. My favorite no. 2 divided by 5. 
  5. Division with whole number divisors and decimal dividend notes
  6. Start the homework 

Assessment: The multiplication homework was checked to see if students were estimating and solving correctly. The My Favorite No problem was checked to see if students knew how to annex a zero and if they knew where to put the dividend and divisor before starting the notes. The notes were done in the format of I do, you do so students stood when they were done and were given feedback from me or a peer.

Glass Half-Full: As a way to differentiate, I had students determine the quotients to many common fractions. Once they had shown the My Favorite No problem without any issue and the same students had also done well on the pre-assessment from last week there was no point in having them take notes. These students then worked in pairs to find what one divided by nine was, two divided by nine, etc. I gave them random fractions including thirds, sixths, sevenths, and elevenths as well.

Regrets: I wish that I had a worksheet for these students with some type of written instructions because they were initially a little confused not by the math as much as they were by what I was asking of them. Good differentiation, but it could have been better.

Link: I really like the chart that MARS (Mathematics Assessment Project) uses for differentiating between GCF and LCM in this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment