Sunday, October 30, 2016

Day 40: Tape Diagrams & Quiz Review

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.3 Fluently add, subtract, multiply, and divide multi-digit decimals using the standard algorithm for each operation.

Objective: Use a tape diagram to solve ratio problems

Agenda:

  1. Self Assessment
  2. Quote of the Day, Star Student, Question of the Day
  3. Review the quiz - particularly problem #5 
  4. Tape Diagram Notes - Completed Version Blank Version
  5. Tape Diagram Homework
  6. Start WQ #8 

Assessment:

  1. Students had time to start the homework in class despite shortened classes so I went around and saw how they were doing on these. I also gave students the opportunity to do the third example problem on their own and stand up when they were done.
  2. The quiz was self-assessed. 


Glass Half-Full: Everyone got problem five wrong on the quiz, but there were nothing but thumbs up acknowledging understanding when I went over the problem with the students. Initially I got thumbs sideways and they asked me how I came up with 80 ounces for a second time which was encouraging because there is no way we go from virtually nobody getting something to everyone through a lecture.

Regrets: In the notes and on the homework there are many problems that compare the ratio of girls to boys. At a training this year, a speaker told us we should try to stay away from these examples because some students might be gender neutral and you are essentially dismissing them with a problem like this. I simply photocopied last year's notes quickly because father time was forcing my hand, but there are many other ratio examples to choose from and I can change with time for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment