Sunday, September 11, 2016

Day 6: Division Begins

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.

Learning Objective: Divide the divisor into the dividend to find a quotient.

Quote of the Day: "Don't whine, don't complain, and don't make excuses." - John Wooden

Question of the Day: "Do we count encores?" In reference to my question about how many students are in the school if every class has the same number of students as our class.

Agenda:

  1. Visual Patterns 1 & 2 
  2. QSSQ
  3. Review the homework & pepper 
  4. Division Word Exclusion
  5. Division Notes 
  6. Division Exit Ticket
  7. Division HW Practice

Assessment: The exit ticket, last night's homework, and tonight's homework were all assessed by me and students were provided feedback.

Glass Half-Full Take: A student debated with me about whether factor was a division word or not. I said it could not be crossed off as a non-division word, but it could not be circled as one either. She countered with, "The definition of factor is that it is a number that is multiplied to get a product." It was day six and I already have a student that is not simply going along with everything I say. I love it. Every student gets better because of students like this.

Regrets: The notes do not need to include the part about division is the same thing as multiplication. The more time that I can cut out of notes, the better off for the students as this is usually the time that requires the least amount of critical thinking from the students.

Homework: Division Practice C

Link of the Day: Lectures are dying in the sense of I speak for an hour and you take notes, but it's not like the teacher needs to have their lips sealed either.

No comments:

Post a Comment