Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Cell Phone Dilemma

I was doing the math for deciding what to do with my cell phone plan and had to write down what the problem is. I've been using more data than ever before this month because I have ditched the radio for podcasts on the ride into work. That prompted this in an email from Sprint:

As of 09/15/2014 at 12:57am, you have used 952554.00 KBytes of your 1048576.00 KBytes monthly Sprint 3G/4G Data allotment while on the Sprint network. If you exceed your monthly usage cap, you will incur overage charges of $0.014 per MB until your usage is reset on 09/27/2014

I looked up my options. I could add unlimited Data for $20 and Sprint would also give me annual upgrades (which I could care less about so let's just throw that out and concentrate on $20 for the unlimited data). They also offered 3 GB for $5.00. And of course the third option is I could also just let things ride and pay the $0.014 per MB.

I think that's all the information you need to make it somewhat interesting, but in order to truly get the most out of this problem it helps to know the date that the usage will be reset. That date is September 27th.

A couple hints: Breaking it down, I had to look up the ratio of KB:MB:GB. I also had to determine at the rate that I was using data what my expected amount of data would be from now until September 27th. I also wanted to see how much data I could use without going over if I changed nothing. This was a great lesson for sixth graders in terms of 6.NS.3, 6.RP.1, 6.RP.3, MP1, MP2, MP4, MP5, and MP6. I believe if I did this as a lesson I would give the students a calculator because the reasoning is high enough from the vantage point of a sixth grader.

2 comments:

  1. I get the same types of messages from ATT as my family reaches their 15GB limit which I just bumped up from 10GB after doing the same economic analysis as you. A carrier option would add a nice twist to the problem, maybe more suitable for 7th graders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really great idea. I also agree that this problem is probably more suitable for 7th graders. Perhaps I could squeeze it in at the end of the year for the sixth graders.

      Delete