Sunday, September 21, 2014

Day 13: Greatest Common Factor

6th Grade Math Standards6.NS.4 Find the greatest common factor of two whole numbers less than or equal to 100 and the least common multiple of two whole numbers less than or equal to 12. Use the distributive property to express a sum of two whole numbers 1-100 with a common factor as a multiple of a sum of two whole numbers with no common factor. For example express 36 + 8 as 4(9 + 2).
MA.4.a Apply number theory concepts, including prime factorization and relatively prime numbers, to the solutions of problems.
The Learning Objective: Find the greatest common factor of two or more numbers.

Quote of the Day: "Do the right thing, day after day. There are no shortcuts to anything worthwhile." - John Maxwell

Agenda:

  1. Estimation 180 Day 16 and Day 17
  2. Greatest Common Factor Notes
  3. Divisibility Rules written in the journal
  4. Start the Greatest Common Factor homework


The Assessment: After my first class today I had a prep. While walking to the office one of the three other math teachers mentioned to me that she was telling all the students to write the divisibility rules in their journal and if they didn't know them, she was going to make them stay after school Monday to practice. I liked the idea. Sure, divisibility rules is rote learning, but I'm such a big believer in fluency as a ticket to higher thinking. I also thought it was fair given that I have written on the board since Monday (four straight nights) that the students should study their divisibility rules.

I did three more assessments during class. As part of the notes, I had students complete two problems independently. They stood up when they were done. The other greatest common factor assessment was on the homework. In two out of the three classes I had time to go around and check off the first problem. Finally, I returned students' weekly quizzes with highlights of wrong problems for them to fix.

Homework: Greatest Common Factor worksheet

My Glass Half-Full Take: Friday was a great class. The estimation activity once again proved why staples can be so fascinating. The notes were excellent in repeating points of emphasis (list factors in pairs, always start with one and the factor itself, and take advantage of divisibility rules). And the assessments accomplished what they should. The students know where they stand, I know where they stand, and we have a plan to fix what should be fixed.

As an aside I was reading from a piece of literature I got from a college basketball coach in which he advocated there is no way of showing you care quite like a hand-written note - especially in light of the technology in our world today. I thought of six examples to date where I was proud of student effort, enthusiasm, or intentions to this point of the year and just now wrote each of them letters. I'm excited to give them out tomorrow and look forward to continue to use this as a tactic in strengthening student habits and my relationship with the student.



One Thing to Do Differently: We had a problem in the notes that asked the students to find the greatest common factor of 28, 56, and 84. I think in the future I would like to add a piece into the notes that asks students to predict what the greatest common factor will be before doing the work. None of the students in the one class I did this with correctly predicted the greatest common factor, so this is a great tool to influence students that they need to show the work.

Link of the Day: On my way to New York City this weekend, I heard a Ted Talk by Rita Pearson for a second time. Her voice was made for speaking. According to the podcast, Rita recently passed away, but much like her mother her legacy continues. This video on the necessity for relationships has well over half a million views on YouTube.

No comments:

Post a Comment