Saturday, September 13, 2014

Day Eight: Operations Quiz

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.

I also tried MP8 Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning, but the students did not see the regularity until I pointed it out to them. 

The Learning Objective: Apply the correct operation to solve a word problem, define product, factor, sum, difference, and quotient, identify the three parts of a division problem (divisor, dividend and quotient), calculate using the four major operations in one step problems

Quote of the Day: "Never lie; never cheat; never steal. Don't whine; don't complain; don't make excuses." - John Wooden on his father's rules of three

Agenda:


The Assessment: The quiz.

Homework: In two of the classes, students were able to use the netbooks and try Get to 10 as well as 2048. I listed both links online and asked students to try out both. I really like Get to 10 as it is an engaging way to practice basic facts without making it seem like a chore. I do wish they would add parenthesis to the basic features.

My Glass Half-Full Take: I'm glad that I showed the students the game 2048. I just found out about it earlier in the week, and it was a quick turnaround time for me to introduce something that was new to me. Often times I forget about things like this and never introduce them. Turns out several students were already well aware of this app.

One Thing to Do Differently: I don't know if I would do this worksheet differently or not. The students saw this worksheet and completed all fifteen problems by showing the work using the standard way of calculating a two or three digit multiplication problem. It was the first thing students did when they completed the quiz and almost every student completed this sheet. Not one student noticed the pattern of one factor going up while one factor goes down. Not one student noticed that their products were decreasing from the problem before in a pattern. What I could have done differently was ask students to look for a pattern in the directions, but I'd rather instill in them that it is their job to always look for a pattern. What I did for one class was tell them to complete the problems in order, but I think they saw this as just me explaining another beginning of the year routine or something, and not as a hint.

Link of the Day: This article came from the New York Times. Students are generally more interested when they are working with someone on something (either together or in competition). Students are also more likely to learn when they see the relevance of something. This might seem obvious, but the last point in particular is thought provoking. Perhaps students journaling about why a standard or topic is relevant on occasion will help increase motivation, perseverance, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment