Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 10: Writing All the Factors

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.4 Find the greatest common factor of two whole numbers less than or equal to 100 and the least common multiple of two whole numbers less than or equal to 12. Use the distributive property to express a sum of two whole numbers 1-100 with a common factor as a multiple of a sum of two whole numbers with no common factor. For example express 36 + 8 as 4(9 + 2).
MA.4.a Apply number theory concepts, including prime factorization and relatively prime numbers, to the solutions of problems.

The Learning Objective: Find the factors of the numbers from 1 to 100.

Quote of the Day: "You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days that you feel good." - Jerry West

Agenda:
  1. Jumpstart that asks students for the divisibility rules for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, and 10. It also asks students to define factor, composite number, and prime number
  2. Review the divisibility homework
  3. Pepper (ask about vocab terms and examples of vocab terms)
  4. Notes on factors. I just defined factor again and had students try four examples.
  5. The students put together factors of 10, 12, 16, 20, 24, 36, 48 and 57 to be hung from the ceiling (after we do the same thing for multiples in two days). We called this "Fabulous Factors."
  6. The Factor Game
  7. Factor Homework explained to students
The Assessment: At the start of class, I checked all students homework for application of the divisibility rules and also asked students to write the rules without looking at their notes. I collected their work.

We played Pepper so that all students could show me they knew or didn't know the vocabulary. We practiced until they got five questions correct in a row.

In addition, students put together the "Fabulous Factors" independently.

Homework: This factor worksheet and I also told students to continue to practice their divisibility rules because they did not memorize them in many cases last night.

My Glass Half-Full Take: We spent around 70 minutes talking about factors all told today.

One Thing to Do Differently: I would have liked to have done a Pepper contest with my three different classes to see which class could get the longest streak of consecutive questions. I like these types of competitions because it promotes class camaraderie and teamwork.

Link of the Day: Microsoft acquired Mojang the maker of Minecraft. I wonder if there's a way for me to assess students on Minecraft with my standards. Should I start playing? It seems like a pretty big commitment of my energy.


No comments:

Post a Comment