Monday, September 8, 2014

Day Four: The Baseline Takes Too Long

6th Grade Math Standards: Pretty much all of them.

The Learning Objective: The original objective was to multiply factors to find a product, but I did not anticipate the baseline would take up both classes.

Quote of the Day: "What do you know and what are you trying to find out?" - My graduate professor Kathy Favazaa

Agenda: This was my original plan minus the date which should say 9/8 but the student I have change it hadn't changed it yet:



The Assessment: The baseline consisted of thirty multiple choice questions. I have not seen the results of what we did, but students asked me several vocabulary questions particularly around the statistics unit.

Homework: I told students to have their supplies in class by tomorrow.

My Glass Half-Full Take: As students were finishing the jumpstart, I helped them on Pascal's Triangle and Visual Patterns. I even helped a couple students with subtraction. At times I was one on one, but I also went one on three or one on four in order to help them. They seemed eager to complete the problem. In my last class of the day I made them state "I will never give up on a problem" in unison. I believe that it is entirely up to an individual to change and that some of these individuals are going to make positive changes in the way they approach math this year.

One Thing to Do Differently: I never warned students about the baseline last week, and I meant to. Not that they would study or anything like that, but there are those students who like to come in and have a general idea what we'll be doing. I also feel like spending more than an hour on a baseline is somewhat wasteful. Looking at all the standards we need to hit though it would be hard to pick which questions we should eliminate.

Website of the Day: I thought this was a nice touch on why we write in math.

No comments:

Post a Comment