Saturday, March 7, 2015

Day 111 Equations Study Guide

6th Grade Math Standards: Solve real-world and mathematical problems by writing and solving equations of the form x + p = q and px = q for cases in which p, q, and x are all nonnegative rational numbers.

The Learning Objective: Isolate a variable by using the inverse operation. Compare an equation to an expression.

Agenda:

  1. Equation balancing with pictures (MCAS Sample Problems Jumpstart)
  2. Gave students a giant marker board to try the division word problems from the homework
  3. Gave students the study guides to do in groups.
  4. Reviewed study guides as a whole class.
  5. Gave students challenge problems to work out as groups. One problem asked students to use the numbers 2, 0, 1, and 5 (for the year 2015) and come up with a solution using the four arithmetical operations ranging from 0 to 15 for all but two numbers. Another problem was a visual pattern from Fawn Ngyuen, and a third problem asked students to find a median (they haven't done this yet). 
  6. Gave students a game of "Equation Wars." Basically I threw up a variable and two numbers. Each group had to put together four equations with the four major operations (group members picked the role of everyone in the group). For the first round, I gave 3 minutes for students to put the best effort into their problems. This included them checking the work and even explaining the work. 

The Assessment: Checking student marker boards, circumventing the classroom during the jumpstart, and in two classes circumventing the classroom for the study guide.

Homework: Study for the quiz which will be on Monday.

My Glass Half-Full Take: In one of my classes, I sat on my computer the entire time as students worked on the study guide. Why is this a good thing? Because I never do this. I always go on the computer to enter grades and homework assignments after school. This means I work later. That in turn means I have less time to read books, go for runs, watch sports, and have a life outside of school. I also should mention that I still listened to groups and was pleasantly surprised at the level of focus and teamwork in the groups of four. I went over the study guide with the entire class afterwards. Unfortunately I didn't try this in my other two classes, and I'm not sure if I could given the makeup of the classes.

One Thing to Do Differently: Equation Wars was so effective because I gave out munchkins to winning groups. I'm always listening to Freakonomics and the value of incentives. I hate having to bribe students to do work, but it did create a spike in student focus. I would like to try this game without giving students the physical reward (and if it fails try the physical reward again).

Link of the Day: Imprisonment can cause a vicious cycle for students. Only 1% of students with mothers in prison graduate college and 13% of students with fathers in college graduate. This study also said students with a parent in prison have a higher rate of attention deficit than students who miss a parent through divorce or death.

No comments:

Post a Comment