Monday, March 23, 2015

Day 122 Inequalities Study Guide

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.EE.5 Understand solving an equation or inequality as a process of answering a question: which values from a specified set, if any, make the equation or inequality true? Use substitution to determine whether a given number in a specified set makes an equation or inequality true.

6.EE.7 Write an inequality of the form x > c or x < c to represent a constraint or condition in a real-world or mathematical problem. Recognize that inequalities of the form x > c or x < c have infinitely many solutions; represent solutions of such inequalities on number line diagrams.

The Learning Objective: Determine what value makes an inequality true, graph in equality, write an inequality in a real-world context

Agenda:

  1. Powerpoint Pepper using terms such as "at least" to determine if a number is included in the inequality or not.
  2. Inequality study guide 
  3. Inequality graphing and writing practice
  4. Weekly quiz #21 (10 questions about ratios)


The Assessment: The pepper is a great on the spot assessment because it gives students instant feedback for an issue that they clearly had in the previous class. The study guide was available online with answers.

Homework: Weekly Quiz #21 and the next class there will be a quiz

My Glass Half-Full Take: I wasn't in school for this lesson and as I write this post I'm actually awaiting my flight back to Boston from Atlanta where I just completed my first half-marathon. I'm physically exhausted, but mentally excited to get back to work tomorrow. It's the first day off I've had this year and I feel like it comes at a good time (March can be a relatively long month for teachers).

I think that at this point in the year it's possible for students to know the routines independently, but it's also nice that we have a Title I teacher and special education teacher that I co-teach with who can help fill in the gaps without me in the classroom.

One Thing I Wish I Had Done Differently: I'll find out tomorrow, but it could be an issue giving a quiz the day after I was not in school. We'll see what was accomplished after I talk to the co-teachers and if I need to give a quick review before the quiz that can be done since it is only a ten question quiz.


No comments:

Post a Comment