Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Day 113: Functions Introduction

6th Grade Math Standards: 8.F.1 Understand that a function is a rule that assigns exactly one input to each output.

6.NS.6 Use variables to represent numbers and write expressions when solving a real-world or mathematical problem; understand that a variable can represent an unknown number, or, depending on the purpose at hand, any number in a specified set.

The Learning Objective: Determine the input given a function rule and the output in a table. Determine the output given the function rule and the input in a table.

Agenda:

  1. Self-Assessment from the Equations Quiz
  2. Review the quiz as a whole class
  3. Functions My Favorite No
  4. Function Notes
  5. Function Practice

The Assessment: The My Favorite No question gave students a chart where the rule was 2x, but most students filled in a number. Only four out of the 60 students in attendance wrote 2x, so for most students determining a function rule based on the input and output will be a new experience. For those students that already meet this concept, I will look to use quadratic, cubic, and multiple step rules to push their thinking.

Homework: Several students completed all work in class, but students were asked to finish the function worksheets for homework. The greatest difficulty for them was working backward when they had the output and had to derive the input based on the function rule and the output.

My Glass Half-Full Take: I think this is a relatively low-stress topic to teach as students level of confusion is dwarfed by the fact that we have already gone into great detail regarding variables over the past couple of weeks. This is where I happen to like the common core because it feels like we are able to dig deeper into a concept and the students can solidify holes in their learning on prior assessments as we continue to see variables.

One Thing I Wish I Did Differently: In my last class, I went ahead and did a little chant with motion stating that a function is a rule that assigns exactly one input to each output. I did not realize that this was an eighth grade standard until looking it up just now. I could have shared this information with the class and also done this chant with all classes. It's an opportunity to teach and have students up out of their seats in the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment