Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Day 112 Equations Quiz & Weekly Quiz Work

6th Grade Math Standards: Solve real-world and mathematical problems by writing and solving equations of the form x + p = q and px = q for cases in which p, q, and x are all nonnegative rational numbers.

The Learning Objective: Isolate a variable in order to solve an equation. Create an equation in a real-world context.

Agenda:

  1. Pass back Weekly Quiz #18
  2. Quiz on Equations
  3. Pass out and start Weekly Quiz #19

The Assessment: The equations quiz

Homework: Finish Weekly Quiz #19

My Glass Half-Full Take: We intentionally left the Weekly Quiz off the internet over the weekend. I like the idea that the students did not have to worry about that over the weekend and could really get their work done in class. As I was reminded by one of the other math teachers earlier today, "These are 11 and 12 year olds after all." To some degree we are batting them over the heads with worksheets and quizzes and to a larger degree that's not who I want to be as a teacher.

One Thing to Do Differently: I don't think that students had a clear expectation of what the equations word problems expectations were as far as what I was assessing. I wish that I had told them up front that if the equation or the solution to the equation is wrong, the whole problem is wrong.

I also would have liked to put a timer on the board as students worked on the weekly quiz and told them that they should be completing at least two problems every five minutes. While this is obviously counter-productive in terms of putting time pressure on them and forcing errors upon them, I have a hard time keeping all students productive in a quiet room when I have to deal one on one with students' questions. One of the other math teachers told me that after students got done problems 1 and 2 they had to get checked by her. I liked this idea as long as I had a checklist to keep track of what students had not seen me. I often find that students can do nothing until a couple minutes left in class and by then it's too late to act in a way to help them.


No comments:

Post a Comment