Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Day 1: Representing Harry Wong

6th Grade Math Standards: N/A

The Learning Objective: Analyze the classroom procedures

Quote of the Day: "It's not that I'm so smart. I just stay with problems longer." - Albert Einstein

The Assessment: In order to assess that students were understanding the opening day procedures I discussed, I used 10/2 (10 minutes of lecture, 2 minutes for students to digest and discuss the information with the people around them). It was very loose structure as I told students to talk with someone in front, next to, or behind them. After the students had some time, I had them share what they discussed by cold calling and calling on hands. Here were the procedures discussed and the ways in which I introduced them:


  • Safety and specifically fire drills. I transitioned by talking about Newtown, Connecticut. It's amazing how quickly we forget. I guarantee people in Newtown don't look at safety procedures the same way that most educators do, but I told all students that I take this very seriously. I cold called students to tell me what we do in the event of a fire drill after I had explained it. 
  • Daily warm up. I asked students how we enter the classroom, and when they said quietly, I asked them why. Eventually we came to the point where I told them that they start class, not me. 
  • Labeling papers. They told me it takes 15 seconds to correctly label a paper. I said we should do it every time. First and last name, the date, and the block. 
  • Sharpened pencils. They asked about erasable pens (good question) to which I said not in my class. I pointed to our pencil sharpeners and they pointed out their own pencil sharpener chambers. 
  • Hallway behavior. I told them that there are video cameras in the hallway. I also said that I always look out in the hall between classes. We talked about being quiet, not running, and keeping your hands to yourself. We also discussed how sometimes at lunch the food of their choice might run out. 
  • Seating arrangement. Before class started, I had the students either in the hallway or at the back of the room (I like the back of the room better after today). I then called the students individually into their seats. Harry Wong recommends this as a practice to avoid students complaining before they have really even met you about not being able to sit with their friends. I did tell the students we will move the furniture in the room around, work with different partners on occasion, and that if they have an issue with their seat such as not seeing the board to see me in private. 
  • Homework. We talked about why we have homework and how we will have time in class to start. In terms of the why question, students told me that it was to get more practice. I made the analogy to sports and music. The more practice, the better the player. I also said that homework could be a way to push your thinking in a different direction than we had done in school. In terms of how, last year at times students would initially refuse to start homework because it was for "home," so I told students this was not what we expected this year. 
  • Session. I brought up the session and told students of my discipline plan. I am using this discipline plan for the first time in three years because at times last year I wish I had more consistency and gave students better expectations for what was acceptable with their behavior. 

Agenda:

We didn't have time for step 5 above.

Here is a look at Step 4:



Glass Half-Full: I thought the classes today were extremely respectful on what has turned out to be an unbearably hot day. I feel rejuvenated this year. I thought I did a good job of telling my homeroom to bring back their signed forms. We went through how easy the process really was and how much time was required. Hopefully they will be the first group I've ever had to have everyone bring everything back the very next day.



One Regret: I don't think I emphasized enough of the math mentality that I want students to have this year. I will communicate more clearly to them in the coming days of my desire to have them make mistakes, push their thinking, and talk without fear about what they know - or think that they know.

Link of the Day: We used Kahoot on one of our professional development days last week, and I really like what the site offers. It's similar to TurningPoint, but with cell phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment