Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Day 6: Division

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.

The Learning Objective: Divide multi-digit dividends by multi-digit divisors; identify the parts of a division problem

Quote of the Day“In a game against the San Francisco 49ers, Jim Marshall spotted the football on the ground. He scooped it up and ran for a touchdown as the crowed cheered. But he ran the wrong way. He scored for the wrong team on national television. It was the most devastating moment of his life. The shame was overpowering. But during halftime he thought, ‘If you make a mistake, you got to make it right. I realized I had a choice. I could sit in my misery or I could do something about it.’ Pulling himself together for the second half, he played some of his best football ever and contributed to his team’s victory.” - Carol Dweck

Assessment: The exit ticket (pictured below), last night's homework, and starting the homework were all assessed by me checking the work. I also did a thumbs up/thumbs down during the division word exclusion.


Agenda:

  1. Estimation 180 Days 14 through 16
  2. Review the homework
  3. Division Word Exclusion
  4. Division Notes
  5. Division Exit Ticket
  6. Division HW started
  7. Pascal's Triangle (one again we did not have time) 


Glass Half-Full Take: The lesson started with Estimation 180. The students were asking to do more after we had done two of the days so I said why not and did a third day. I assigned a couple students from each class to ask why the staples came in packs of 5000 instead of 5040 (if you do the estimation exercises yourself you'll see what I mean). I was pleasantly surprised when one student correctly predicted that there were 5040 in the box, but the company put 5000 on the box because it is a "rounded number."

I gave students the opportunity to get out of their seats in the division word exclusion activity. This also gave us an opportunity to construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others (Math Practice Standard 3).

In two out of three classes I gave the exit tickets back to students in class. Tomorrow I will give the tickets back to the class that I missed. Students were able to correctly place the quotient, divisor, and dividend much more easily if there was the long division symbol than if it was a fraction. Great to know and it was an easy match up of assessment and objective.

One Regret: I forgot to review the homework in one class. That was unfortunate because there were a couple things that I wanted to touch upon. I forgot the quote of the day in two out of three classes. Tomorrow I will go over the multiplication problems and emphasize how we can find how many students are in the school.

I want something to extend the students thinking next year if they are sailing through the homework. Unlike yesterday I did not have a problem for students to truly think. They were more or less calculators on the homework.

Homework: See link above on step 6 of the agenda.

Link of the Day: During lunch I invited students throughout the sixth grade to partake in fantasy football for the upcoming week. I took most of my numbers from the daily fantasy websites that are out there, but modified the game a little to make it somewhat easier for sixth graders. They made all calculations by hand and I hope that they will calculate all stats by hand as well. Here is the link I will use for all weeks and the player pool for this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment