Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Day 17 LCM Half Day

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.4 Find the greatest common factor of two whole numbers less than or equal to 100 and the least common multiple of two whole numbers less than or equal to 12. Use the distributive property to express a sum of two whole numbers 1–100 with a common factor as a multiple of a sum of two whole numbers with no common factor. For example, express 36 + 8 as 4(9 + 2). MA.4.a. Apply number theory concepts, including prime factorization and relatively prime numbers, to the solution of problems.

The Learning Objective: Find the least common multiple in a real-world context.

Quote of the Day“I had the great privilege of being an assistant on the 1992 Olympic team, known as the “Dream Team.” It consisted of some of the greatest players of all time, such as Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and Larry Bird. After a team practice, I stood by myself on the sidelines drinking a Diet Coke. Michael Jordan walked over to me and said, ‘Coach K, I would like to do about a half hour of individual work and I was wondering if you could please work with me.” After our workout, Michael shook my hand and said ‘Thanks Coach.’ Michael Jordan had just called me Coach and he had said please and thank you. This was at a time when he was one of the most recognizable faces not only in the game, but throughout the world. That day I learned everyone on Michael Jordan’s team is treated with respect.” - Coach K

Assessment: Checking the weekly quiz

Agenda:

  1. Mystery number: 3 clues. The number is more than 50 and less than 100, the number is a multiple of 2 and 7. The number has exactly three prime factors.
  2. Review the homework
  3. Students worked on a sheet that combined least common multiple and greatest common factor

Glass Half-Full Take: I was glad that I did not assign homework on the half-day. It's the third day we've done least common multiple (if you count the multiples day on Monday), but there wasn't time for a fair assessment in terms of what we did on multiples so giving homework would not yield anything except for the annoying I don't get its and I didn't understands the next day.

One Regret: The classes came and went so fast. I wish I had planned and coordinated the sheet that combined least common multiple and greatest common factor better. I needed to pass out rulers faster, get students organized in partners faster, etc. It was one of those days (as most days tend to go) where the third class got a better lesson than the first.

Homework: Work on weekly quiz

Link of the Day: I love this anecdote from the blog of Tyler Auer (@Mathfireworks). In regards to switching the order of 23 + 59 + 7 to 23 + 7 + 59 it is ok to switch the numbers because the results don't change. He used this point to build on the idea that "we use patterns to manipulate variables and numbers in ways that look different, but don't change the result."

No comments:

Post a Comment