Saturday, September 26, 2015

Day 14: Multiples

6th Grade Math Standards: Find the greatest common factor of two whole numbers less than or equal to 100 and the least common multiple of two whole numbers less than or equal to 12. Use the distributive property to express a sum of two whole numbers 1–100 with a common factor as a multiple of a sum of two whole numbers with no common factor. For example, express 36 + 8 as 4(9 + 2). MA.4.a. Apply number theory concepts, including prime factorization and relatively prime numbers, to the solution of problems.

MP.1 Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.

The Learning Objective: List the first four multiples of a number

Quote of the Day“I frequently received letters from custodians after we play an away game telling me our team left the locker room neater and cleaner than anyone who had visited during the year. I believe leaving it clean is just common courtesy. Somebody’s going to have to clean it up, and I see no reason why it shouldn’t be the person who messed it up. I think neatness and courtesy make you feel good about yourself. I believe individuals who feel good about themselves are more productive.” - John Wooden

Assessment: As we were finishing the notes, students stood up to indicate if they could list off the first four multiples of a number; during my favorite no I also checked to see if students would list factors instead of multiples for a number. Many of them (more than half) did.

Agenda:

  1. Warm Up Problem and homework check
  2. Review the homework
  3. My favorite no; list 4 multiples of 12
  4. Multiples Notes
  5. Pass out the homework
  6. Marvelous Multiples

Glass Half-Full Take: The warm up problem took the whole block in one of my classes and it did not bother me at all. Students came away engaged. Two student reactions said it best. "I can't believe that we were just here for 45 minutes." And, "I can't wait to give this to my mom and see her do it." It was amazing to feel the students thinking and interest level. All the while they needed to grasp what a factor was, what a product was, and what a sum was.

One Regret: We did not have time to finish Marvelous Multiples. I came away from the warm up problem feeling good though. Perhaps I could fly through the notes and not tell students what an integer is on this day (integer is inside the definition of multiple we used).

Homework: Multiples practice.



Link of the Day: Mathcounts

No comments:

Post a Comment