Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Day 7: Division Day 2

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.

The Learning Objective: Divide multi-digit numbers with two digit divisors

Quote of the Day“Why waste time proving over and over how great you are, when you could be getting better? Why hide deficiencies instead of overcoming them? The passion for stretching yourself and sticking to it, even (or especially) when it’s not going well, is the hallmark of the growth mindset. This is the mindset that allows people to thrive during some of the most challenging times in their lives.” - Carol Dweck

Assessment: My favorite no problem which was 2438 divided by 23. I used these numbers to see if students would bring down two numbers at a time by accident. It only happened a couple times all day, but it was good to collect the index cards and see what students were where with the topic. Pepper was used to see what students knew and didn't know with regards to vocabulary. I always use no opt out during pepper. I also checked homework and started today's homework within the class period. Students were able to get feedback on their multiplication facts because I had them "speed dating" and switching seats every minute with a deck of cards as a way to give them problems.

In one class I got the problem below done on the board by a student. Needless to say the remainder of 81 with the divisor of 81 led to excellent discussion and thinking on the part of all the students. This is the type of value that is gained when we spend more time letting students do work at the board and less time letting me do work at the board. I don't do enough of this.


Agenda:

  1. My Favorite No
  2. Review the Homework
  3. Pepper
  4. Multiplication Speed Partners
  5. Division 2 HW
  6. Pascal's Triangle

Glass Half-Full: I am trying to give different students different homework assignments this year and also differentiating within the regular class. On the homework today I had some students start in different places. I also personally went by to cross out problems on some papers depending upon the length of time students took or the ease in which they were doing problems. One girl demonstrated proficiency on yesterday's homework and today's homework so I let her work on the Pascal's Triangle paper before she had finished all the problems and told her not to worry about finishing the problems. If she is demonstrating mastery, why should I make her do busy work?

One Regret: Today was a great day to work in groups because it was the second day of the same learning objective. Getting kids to help kids is something I usually implement early in the year and today was a good day for it, but I kept the students in rows.

Homework: Review D; the quiz is two days away

Link of the Day: Good inspirational video passed along from a colleague that's under 5 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment