Thursday, September 17, 2015

Day 8: Study Guide for Operations Quiz

6th Grade Math Standards: 6.NS.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm

The Learning Objective: Use division, multiplication, addition, and subtraction in a mathematical and real-world context; identify the parts of all four operations

Quote of the Day“Children with the fixed mindset want to make sure they succeed. Smart people should always succeed. But for children with the growth mindset, success is about stretching themselves. It’s about becoming smarter. One seventh-grade girl summed it up. ‘I think intelligence is something you have to work for...it isn’t just given to you...Most kids if they’re not sure of an answer will not raise their hand to answer the question. But what I usually do is raise my hand, because if I’m wrong, then my mistake will be corrected. Or I will raise my hand and say How would this be solved? Just by doing that I increase my intelligence.” – Carol Dweck

Assessment: Checking homework; circumventing the room as students did the study guide

Agenda:

  1. Visual Patterns #1 for the jumpstart 
  2. Review the division homework
  3. Sneak peak at tomorrow's quiz
  4. Study guide 
  5. Product Game


Glass Half-Full Take: The first time we worked on visual patterns as a class was very helpful. Students were building off of one another's ideas. You could sense that students were going from feeling helpless to curious as students shared different ideas. I liked a couple other things that I did on the fly today. The first was that as students did the visual patterns problem (which was projected onto the board), I had other students who got problems wrong on the homework put their solutions on the board. This meant that going over the homework would take less time for everyone in the class when we got to it. It also meant that we could look at mistakes that were made by that student as a class and analyze them.

The other thing that I did on the fly was to put a timer up in the second part of class for how much time I allocated toward the study guide. After the timer expired, I went over the study guide and showed students how to find the answers online so that they could use it as a study tool tonight.

One Regret: In explaining the product game, I should have been more explicit about using a paper clip, pen cap, or other small object to mark the space on the board. In the second class in which I used the product game students had many questions. The game was engaging and a great diversion from the cut and dry math of note-taking or drill and kill, but students initially were unsure how to get started.

Homework: Study for tomorrow's quiz



Link of the Day: A teacher shared this article with me today about How Not to Talk to Your Kids from New York Magazine. It's great for explaining to parents the basic premise of fixed versus growth mindset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment